Saturday, April 20, 2013

4.20.2013

Last week when we were at Country Boys, D and I couldn't help but notice they had a few Hosta varieties out. It reminded us of a time a few years ago when we visited a local Hosta nursery, Daylilies and Hosta Garden. D offered to take me back.... I wasn't going to say No, that's for sure! Today was a beautiful day for the trip, really sunny and on the coolish side of spring.


The Hosta were so pretty and the names are always amusing to read. I was hoping to see a Marilyn Monroe, I've wanted one in my collection for a while - her ruffles are so pretty - but they didn't have one.

The last Hosta I bought from here was one of the small varieties, called Abby. I've been very pleased with how it has done. We decided to get another small variety and selected Blue Mouse Ears.

The other variety I purchased on our last visit, sieboldiana samurai, has yet to come up this year. I hope it's okay and hasn't died because I really love its color variation. Which is why I picked my second selection, June. June has all three colors in her leaves - yellow, green and 'blue'. So if Samurai has died, I will at least have a similar look. June is supposed to have a long season, she doesn't die off mid-summer, and I'm looking forward to that.



On our way home we stopped by Lowes to pick up two more bags of mulch. They had some really gorgeous flowers there - I picked up some Gerberas that were a lovely coral color and Poppies that were nearly the same shade. I have never been able to grow Poppies for very long but I just love them, they're so elegant! They will be nice color in the Winged Friends garden until the Lilies have come out.


No comments: