Tuesday, December 6, 2011

12.6.2011



It's been a busy December so far. I guess the Lord felt I've been too busy and that's why He put me in forced quarantine with Strep! Anyway, I thought it was a good chance to catch up on the blog.

Thursday Dec 1
We got all dressed up and D took me to the Melting Pot. They hosted a benefit for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The charge was $10/head, which isn't bad considering their normal prices. Of course, there was no meat, just cheese and chocolate. Our favorite cheese, no surprise, was the Spinach-Artichoke and we agreed that when we came back again we would order that. My favorite chocolate, again no surprise, was the Dark Chocolate and D said his was the Smores. It was a very interesting experience - most people were drinking wine so it was sometimes difficult to get a tea refill and we had to stand up the whole reception - there was no seating. Still, it was for a good cause. I had no idea that St. Jude's took 1.7 million dollars a day to run!

Friday Dec 2
D played the Greer Tree Lighting with the Foothills Philharmonic.


I didn't see anyone I knew, so I didn't have anyone to huddle with - it was cold on the ground! Of course, D was sitting in the back next to the fountain, so he didn't fare much better. I thought the fountain was lit so beautifully, though they turned it down while the concert was going on for sound reasons.

One of the newspaper photogs got this shot.
I'm so jealous! I need a long lens!


During my favorite selection, Sleigh Ride, a freight train came through town and then the police & fire trucks pulled up with their sirens blaring (they were escorting Santa in). It ruined the song! The director thought so too, so he played it a second time - I knew I liked him the first time I met him! Unfortunately my video doesn't want to upload to Blogger! I will keep trying...

Saturday Dec 3
One of our Altos in the FBC choir is very active with a local farm that does horse therapy with disadvantaged children. She asked for carolers to come out during their live nativity and unfortunately, D and I were the only ones to volunteer. We're not the strongest singers but all God cares about is the heart and the intent, right? Luckily, one of our more talented sopranos came with her children and stayed to help out. She actually sang Alto a little bit while the Alto that invited us took pictures of the nativity (she's a professional photog). Unfortunately the only picture she got of us singing we were all looking down at the music (probably concentrating). Anyway, it's something to remember the evening by!



Sunday Dec 4th
Woke up with a bit of a sore throat, but put that up to being out in the cold for two hours on Friday and then Caroling on Saturday. Still was able to sing in the choir without too much trouble.

Monday Dec 5th
Couldn't sleep at all Sunday/Monday. At 1:30AM my temperature was 99.7 and by 4:00AM it had dropped to 99. Sore throat was much worse. Went in to see Dr. P around 9AM and she ran a Strep test on me. It was positive. She knew I had marked down that I was allergic to Penicillin but after talking, we decided to try Amoxicillin as long as D stayed home with me - in the event I had a reaction. And I did fine - so I may not be allergic to Penicillin after all! For pain she put me on a 3-hour rotation of Tylenol and Advil so that I don't take too much of either one. I had to make a chart so I could remember which one I was supposed to take when! I stayed home from work but I was torn about choir rehearsal. Even though I didn't want to get anyone else sick, I need to rehearse. Dr. P said I could go if I sat out in the pew area and not in the loft and follow along with my music. But RK and I both agreed it would be better if I just stayed home and rested. Dr. P said I would be fine for Tuesday & Wednesday rehearsals - at least I won't infect anybody. I may not be able to sing but I do need to practice the handbell section I've volunteered for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sorry it turned out to be strep. thinking about you every day. will try to phone today, wasn't sure of your schedule with rehearsals.