Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9.20.2011

Today Granddaddy took an Honor Flight to DC and back. He was concerned about the takeoff but he said they had a beautiful flight and the most amazing sunset. I'm not sure if it was his first flight or just his first flight since the war, but I'm so glad it went well for him.


WYFF posted a short video (D says the YouTube version is larger) and "Sarge" is on the escalator at :29. D and LRL are also visible holding signs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98maKlJ_Vs

We had the privilege of being in the welcome party at the airport. It was amazing. There was a band, honor guards, a TV crew and what must have been most of G'ville's law enforcement. I teared up several times, especially when the veterans arrived at the top of the escalators and saw the crowd for the first time. Some saluted, some waved and a few cried. That was so emotional. I was pleased to see several female vets included. It was better than the 4th of July!



No comments: