Thursday, November 4, 2010

11.4.2010

Ever since I changed my diet to exclude white starches, corn and sugars - and include more MUFAs - I eat weird. There's just no other way to say it! Poor D does his best to cobble together a normal semblance of a meal while I just do my own thing. Sometimes this requires offbeat food and D has been a good sport at shopping around to help me find what I want. A lot of people are down on Wal-Mart, and usually I'm one of them, but Wallie World has been coming through for me lately.

Exhibit One: Dark Chocolate Almond Spread.
I try and get at least one MUFA a day, more if I can. The buzz says that MUFAs help you lose the extra weight around the middle and although I've had improvement in this regard, I don't know if it's the MUFAs or not. What I do know is that I feel healthy when I eat them. This stuff is a MUFA-double shot: Dark Chocolate and Almonds together. Whole Foods sells this jar for $8+. Wal-mart? $4.50. Yes, I do eat it straight from the jar, though I wait until we get home to do so.



Exhibit Two: Earl Grey Green Tea
I still remember the moment I spotted Earl Green on the shelf. Right there in the middle of the shoving, noisy mass of humanity, it was like a shaft of light shone on the tin. Apparently several companies make a version of this but I had never seen it or heard tell of it before. Me, the Earl Grey queen, who begrudgingly brews a cup of blah Green Tea because of its health benefits. So, this is green tea with black tea flavorings and it's a win-win for me. I do feel a pang of regret when my tea shelf in the pantry is so full that I have to push aside boxes of Numi's Aged Earl Grey, Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer, and Twining's Lady Grey, but they'll do when I feel like a second mug.


Exhibit Three: Brown Rice Pasta
When I do crave a carb it's not corn or rice. Sometimes it's bread, but usually it's pasta. D and I do Italian really well and I've missed our homemade sauces. If I ignore the craving too long it gets bad. I go into pasta-meltdown, where I want it every day for a week. I was delighted to find a whole line of brown rice pasta at Wal-Mart because brown rice is an allowed carb on Sugarbusters. Mmmm... I feel a craving coming on now!

2 comments:

HymnSinger said...

Good luck during the Holidays! Seriously though, what is the taste like with the brown rice pasta? I've tried some whole wheat, and it was nasty!

Cindy B said...

That dark chocolate stuff looks super yummy! I will have to check our Walmart and see if they carry it.