Monday, June 14, 2010

6.14.2010

Last night for supper I fixed something completely new to both of us: Quinoa Soup with Spinach and Mushrooms.



Quinoa is an ancient food source, used by the indigenous people in the Andes, before the conquistadors appeared. You can cook it like a pasta or a grain but it's neither. It's a seed and it's credentials are impressive. It has a lot of protein in it and it's also one of the few plants that contains all eight of the amino acids that humans need in their diets.


Making this soup also gave me an opportunity to use our Homemade Chicken stock!


It was very different from what we've tried before. Not bad at all but not immediately a favorite. I've read the taste described as 'nutty' but we couldn't really discern the taste under the mushrooms, onions and garlic. The texture was okay, like a couscous. I am so very proud of us both for trying something new, something healthy. I'm not sure it will become a staple on our table. At least not this season, because it's a soup and outside we have a heat index of 104 degrees! But I'll keep looking for other recipes to use it in.

1 comment:

HymnSinger said...

Where on earth did you find this stuff? You had to go hunting for it I am sure!