Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yesterday was busy. The day started when we heard D's phone buzz with a text that the sisters needed a break from the hospice so they were going to IHOP for breakfast. So we woke up Uncle Russ and met them there.

Afterwards we did some laundry for Aunt Debi, who had only brought three changes of clothing. No one expected Grandma to hang on this long. Aunt Ruth arrived and Uncle David needed a ride to their hotel, so we took him over. It was nice to have meaningful tasks to do throughout the morning. It made me feel useful to be of service to the family.

It was such a wonderful sunny day outside. Aunt Ruth asked if anyone wanted to go for a walk and stretch our legs. I thought it was great idea. The Deer Head facility sits on a beautiful tract of land.


For a couple of days now D and I have noticed a lone goose who doesn't mingle with the others. We knew it was the same one because it had one single feather that stuck up like a cowlick. On our walk we came upon a goose sitting on a nest of eggs. And then our one-feathered buddy showed up. It was Father goose and he kept a mean eye on us. I guess maybe he had been plucking his feathers for the nest? Mother goose stood up to air her clutch of eggs or maybe she just wanted to show them off. We made all the appropriate approving noises and then left them alone.


I was sitting in the solarium reading (Julie & Julia) when a security guard came through on his rounds. He asked if I was signed in. I held up my wrist so he could see my wristband. Who could miss it? Maybe the book obscured his view, I don't know. Maybe he was just bored and needed conversation. Yep, still wearing the wristband.


After dinner we all went back up to see Grandma. Her breathing was very shallow and her chest was hardly moving at all. We started singing praise choruses to her and the room developed such a warm atmosphere. You could feel the love in the room. It was tangible. Grandma's breathing slowed and we really thought she was going to pass but then they medicated her and she started breathing deeper again. D and I stayed until around 1:30AM and then D decided he needed some sleep.

No comments: