I still couldn't sleep after the movie so I started reading my first book of the year, Storm Front by Jim Butcher - about a wizard named Harry Dresden. D has just been gobbling up all of Butcher's books. After nearly 100 pages I put the book down, donned my own robe and padded into the kitchen. I got out my new cauldron and began some alchemy of my own. For our first dish in the Dutch oven we chose Julia Child's very own Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy is so much easier to spell). It's definitely French: bacon, butter, beef and of course, Burgundy. My new name for this dish is Heart Attack on a Plate. D laughed and said "at least we'll die happy."
D was good company for me during the six hours it took to prepare this dish. And he set a gorgeous table. I felt like he had created a beautiful French bistro just for me. And I almost felt guilty about eating such a nice meal in my PJs.
The beef had a very nice and complex flavor. It is braised in quite a lot of wine, but surprisingly, the wine does not overpower the finished dish. Was it worth four sinkfuls of dishes and six hours of my time? Not sure about that. I think we could achieve a similar outcome by just adding some merlot to the crockpot the next time we fix a roast. But now I can say that I have successfully managed one of Julia's recipes.
1 comment:
I am impressed with your dedication! I can't imagine spending 6 hours on one recipe. I'm glad it was yummy.
Post a Comment