Thursday, November 12, 2009

11.12.2009

In NaNoWriMo news...

I've been trying to get a grip on Hezekiah, my bomber. I was looking on Wikipedia trying to figure out if I should make him a paranoid megalomanic or not and I've decided not. Then I thought maybe I'd throw in some glossolalia but I don't know how I would write it. So for kicks and giggles I looked up the biblical Hezekiah. And it turns out that he dug a tunnel! Which blew my mind. Because my Hezekiah exits the cabin through a tunnel, that goes under the field he has booby-trapped. I got chills when I saw the picture.

So I was thinking about Hezekiah's standoff with Jack. And one of the problems was the dog attack. Initially I had Lis hit Hezekiah in his gunshot wound until he called off Daisy. But now I've decided Hezekiah wouldn't give up that easy. He wouldn't. So, Daisy's going to have to be put down. Sam's going to do it. And poor Jack. It's not just going to be a torn brachial artery. No, I'm afraid that Daisy breaks his arm. It's already weak from where he broke it back in high school playing football. I'm so cruel to Jack. But, he gets the girl in the end, so it all evens out.

I've been putting off the hospital scene and today I figured out why. I just couldn't get Lis there because she isn't injured. And if she doesn't want to talk to Jack or Sam, there'd be no reason for her to visit. It finally occurred to me to have The Talk in an ambulance at the scene. And viola! It flows really well. I especially enjoyed when Sam pushed Lis through the doors of the bus. Nobody says no to Sam! But, there's not a lot of time for gabbing, since they do need to get that tourniquet off Jack's arm. So the meat of the conversation will take place at the cemetery. Before I can write Kyle's funeral though, I have to figure out his mom and dad's names. I hate figuring out the names, it makes me feel so stupid.

No comments: