Friday, June 26, 2009

6.26.2009

Today was the last day for our Engineers at work. They made the rounds saying goodbye. I was particularly sad about DF leaving. He has always been 'the face' of CDI to me and I think management is making a huge mistake in laying him off. He gave me a big hug. I told him he should take another trip to Hawaii and that put a big smile on his face.

Earlier this week while I was messing around on the internet I happened upon a Daylily and Hosta nursery in S'ville. I had no idea we had a speciality garden so close. It's been over a year since I added to my Hosta garden so D took me there after work. They advertise over 200 varieties but it's late in the season and I think they only had maybe 100 displayed. I never knew before that D and I had such divergent tastes in Hosta! I guess because it's always been my shade garden that he hasn't been as vocal about it. But now that I've given him free reign to plant the backyard fringe as he wants, he's becoming more particular. Which is okay too.




Abby
was the hosta that we both agreed on.






They had a decent price on August Moon so I got another one. This will the third one we've owned. The squirrels murdered the first one and I'm not sure exactly what happened to the second. Let's hope I can keep this one going because I don't plan on purchasing another.




I've read about Japanese hosta although I had never seen one in person before today. I chose Tokudama Aureonebulosa as my piece de resistance. The last one they had.


I was really hoping to see a Marilyn Monroe but they didn't have one. Other varieties that I liked were: Janet, Midwest Magic, Blue Mouse Ears, White Christmas, Bright Lights, Olive Branch and Titanic. I almost chose Midwest Magic over the Tok but I wanted a Japanese speciman. Titanic would have come home with us but they only had one left and it was not for sale. The lady we spoke with said they should have some next season.

Meanwhile, in our own Winged Friends garden, the Magnus echinacea is doing well. He likes the rain. I remember when we lived on Perry Street, Magnus would be covered in bees. You could even water with the garden hose and they would not budge from doing their pollen dance. I haven't seen a single bee on Magnus in at least two summers.


And our daylilies are so very beautiful right now.

No comments: