Started a new book today. In honor of tax week, I'm reading Your Money Or Your Life. I struggle with non-fiction so it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to finish it.
I've started thinking about this year's NaNoWriMo. It's the planner in me. I absolutely must have time to prepare and do research before November. So many interesting ideas come to me when I'm doing research, it's half the fun of writing stories. I think I've nailed down which story I want to work on, it's something that's been floating around in my mind for awhile. But it's very dark. Well, most of my stories are dark. This one has an abortion clinic, extreme-right-wing terrorists, abandonment and trust issues, etc. Today I was thinking about my male lead. His given name has always been John Thomas and he was firmly American. Today it occurred to me to make him Canadian (dual citizenship) and to spell it Jean-Thomas. And I love the idea. He goes by a nickname, so I wouldn't have to type out the hyphenation all the time. The amazing thing is that after the nationality changed, his back story just leaped out at me (whereas before, when he was American, his origins were really undefined). It is fascinating to me how something morphs the longer I marinate it up in the gray matter. How what I think of one day evolves the next into something more complex and infinitely more interesting. It makes me wonder if authors wake up in the middle of the night with changes for books that were printed years ago and think "Oh, if only I had done it that way instead!"
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's probably where sequels and prequels come from (when not prompted by publishing companies that is).
I find it so interesting that you're the fictionista & I'm just the opposite 99.9% of the time. just another way we somewhat "opposites" compliment one another. but then we both love organization/planning... God sure knows what he's doing! luv xxoo
Post a Comment