Friday, February 13, 2009

2.13.2009

D and I had originally planned to go to Atlanta for Valentine's Day. The owner of the King-Keith Bed & Breakfast had given us a discounted rate on the King bedroom and we were going to visit the Aquarium and the High Museum of Art. After the lay-off at work and the furlough week, we decided to cancel our trip. We still took today off of work but we didn't get to sleep in, thanks to Alex.
This afternoon D took me onto the campus of Bob Jones University to see their art collection. Even though I have lived in the area now for over a dozen years, I had not yet set foot on the BJU campus. We spent nearly two hours going through their museum. I was surprised at how intently they watched over us while we walked through the gallery. We had more eyes on us in there then we did while visiting the National Museum in D.C. Maybe I look like the dangerous type...
It's quite a nice collection and the Christian Symbolism in Art class that I took at C-N really came in handy. No photography was permitted. I bought a 50cent postcard of my favorite piece in the museum shop. It was better quality than the $2 print they had. It's called Vashti Refuses the King's Summons by Edwin Long. This photo doesn't do it justice. In person Vashti is just captivating. Her dress is gorgeous and the fur she is sitting on is beautifully done too.


We had dinner at The Melting Pot. We were put into a little corner booth in a cubby hole. It was like being in a private dining room, very dark and secluded. It was very romantic.


We had the Big Night Out which is four courses. The first course is a cheese fondue with bread, apples and veggies. The second course is a cobb salad. The third course is the meat course. We had filet, pork, chicken, salmon, shrimp and artichoke ravioli with veggies. The fourth course is the chocolate course. We chose Cherries Jubilee and they flambed it at the table. It was all very, very tasty. It's a good thing that we skipped lunch.




It took us about two hours to eat dinner. We arrived home to find Valentine flowers from Mom on our doorstep. They're so bright and cheery. Thanks so much Mom. Alex thinks they are for him. I've had to shoo him away from them twice. I've heard that cats see red really well, maybe there's something to that.

No comments: