Monday, October 20, 2008

Why I Blog *** 100th Post ***

Wow! Earlier this year I started this blog on a whim. I never thought of it as something I would stick with. It was an experiment and now it has become a part of my life. Last week when I noticed my post count was headed towards three digits I started to seriously think about the blog. In particular, asking myself 'why do I blog?' Here's what I came up with:

To Learn New Technology
After visiting so many well-written and beautifully laid-out blogs my natural response was 'I can do that', but I didn't know how. Creating my blog was a learning experience for me. And it still is even today. Just last week I tried to post a video and failed miserably. I did successfully add a ticker to my Bogart movie list, so that was positive. I do not consider myself computer saavy and this is a way for me to continue learning a skillset.

Communication With Family
I know there's email and phone and I do occasionally still get snail-mail from Mom, but the blog is one more way of keeping in touch with family. Just about the first question I used to be asked was 'what's going on with you?' The blog takes care of that. I feel that my family is closer to me now because they know me better. That may not be true, but it's how I perceive it. I think it's been a great conversation starter too.

Therapy
Yes, my blog is theraputic. When I compose a post I'm working through my thoughts and expressing them, getting them out, which is healthy. This is my place, my forum for my thoughts. When I had that really bad day flying with Delta I blogged about it. Then I went and told Delta that I had blogged to the world about it - and that made me feel even better. The blog can be cathartic. There have even been studies done on that very subject so at least I know I'm not off in left field on this one.

To Keep in the Practice of Writing
The other day Mom and I were gabbing and she equated my blog with my journalism. I had not really thought of it that way before. Even though I haven't written for a paper since my CN days, I still have my training and sometimes I think like a journalist. These posts are little articles and dispatches from my world. Even if they're not in newspaper style at least they keep me in practice.

Improve My Memory
My memory is horrible. Maybe D's memory is just awesome, but mine pales in comparison. There are huge chunks of my life that I don't remember. I was told all through school that the act of writing things down aides the memory in retaining information. So this blog is a record of my days. A diary, if you will. I think it's working. I have been able to remember things better but it's only been a few months. We'll have to see if that is true in the long term.

Digital Scrapbooking
I used to love making scrapbooks. Used to - I lost the affection for them somewhere. But I very much enjoy posting pictures to my blog. So those blogs that are mostly pictures with just a few words here and there are my digital scrapbook. I think in some ways it's even better than physical scrapbooks because any family who wants a picture can just download it. Also, I don't have to worry about losing a scrapbook in a house fire or flooding or to a person who neglects to return it or damages it.

It's Fun
'nuff said.

1 comment:

Mark A Beasley said...

I always look forward to your daily posts... I actually have you set as a homepage tab set in firefox so everyday when I open the internet... I can read your blog... I like learning about you... I do not know how to do it much but I have watched you for a while now and am going to venture out and try it as well.

I actually found a couple websites for you... http://quotationsbook.com/ and http://popurls.com/

you might already have these but I thought I would share them...

Love you cuz...
Marky