Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Weather!

We had quite the gullywasher last night. At one point I looked out and the rain was blowing sideways! I read that some of the storm cells produced over 1,000 lightning hits and over 20,000 people were without power. Ours went out around 6:30PM and it wasn't restored until 1AM. D and I just bought eggs, milk, butter and yogurt before the storm hit. So now we're in a quandry about whether to toss the perishables or not. D just recovered from that stomach bug. Don't really want to catch anything from food that has gone 'off' but at the same time, we can't afford to be throwing out decent food.
We're forcasted to be near 100 today with a heat index of 105-108. A little voice inside my head is starting to whine 'why did we pick the beach this year instead of Mammoth Cave? Mammoth Cave is a steady 54 degrees!' Then the Florida Girl part of me smacks the little voice and says 'Shut up!'

2 comments:

Cindy B said...

So what did you wind up doing with the food? I'm with you - I hate throwing stuff out. And if I was going to cook it anyway, I'd probably keep it and assume cooking would kill any germs.

BTW, I've been looking into doing freezer meals and worried about just such a thing happening and ruining hundreds of dollars worth of food. But I think stuff in the freezer would keep better than stuff in the fridge.

VictoriaPL said...

Hey Cindy -
Hope the kiddos have been keeping busy and not driving you insane.
We haven't thrown out anything yet. We haven't eaten any of it either. I think we're going to be using the 'smell test' on a lot of things.