I am so excited that the weather has turned. Autumn is my favorite time of year and I am so looking forward to enjoying the season. With the change in temperature and humidity D and I have resumed our neighborhood walks. One of our favorite streets is Quillen because it's long and flat and has wide shoulders and sidewalks on both sides. It's not unusual for us to meet other walkers and runners while we're out.
Last night we were on Quillen and had nearly reached Main when we heard the emergency services vehicles start up. Sure enough, a fire truck turned onto the road. We were only about a block or so from the firehouse so he hadn't quite worked his way into a full wail, just a sort of whoop-whooping. Not long after that an ambulance followed and he was in full throttle mode. I put my fingers up to my ears because of the intensity of the sound and the driver saw me and turned off the siren. I waved my thanks, he waved back and waited until he was properly past us to resume his song-and-dance.
D and I completed our loop at the library and pharmacy to head back home and met the firemen returning to the station. We exchanged waves and I thought about how thankful I am to live in a small, southern town where people still exchange the social niceties. A few months ago in Atlanta I didn't feel that warm fuzzy feeling at all. It's interesting that the brief encounters we had on the road during our walk made our town feel like home. I am happy to be here.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment