Wednesday, June 1, 2011

6.1.2011

D and I had a wonderfully low-key Memorial Day weekend. Our main event was a group-date with my Tuesday bible study ladies and their families. We went to a Greenville Drive game and, as the previous day was rained out, we were treated to a doubleheader! I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain it was my first in-person baseball game. My past experience came from watching Field of Dreams and A League of Their Own.

Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd



What I remember most of Game#1 was the sun. It was very bright in our section of the ballpark, or perhaps it felt overly so because of all the rain the previous days. Regardless of the sun, I liked our seats on the first base line. As there weren't many runners making it to home base, first had all the action. I was so glad to be under the protection of the netting (mostly). Some balls got through and with my stiff neck/back I couldn't tilt my head up to see them. We also saw a splintered bat - so exciting!

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack


Neither of us could remember the last time we had Cracker Jack. Certainly at that time it was in a cardboard box. I was going for tradition and the crinkly bag was a disappointment. Still tasted as I remembered it though. And being traditionalists, we eschewed the Sbaro and Chick-fil-A and had hot dogs for dinner.

I don't care if I never get back
Let me root, root, root for the home team



I enjoyed cheering for the Drive, though truth be told, the action was few and far between (this is the minor leagues after all). We only saw one home run hit for the Drive, although one occurred before we arrived at the ballpark. We heard the celebratory firework while we were in the parking lot boarding the trolley.

If they don't win, it's a shame


The sun finally went down, the stands filled up and Reedy Ribbit came over to play. There were giveaways and contests and group singing. I didn't know it was tradition to sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame in the 7th inning specifically. I think D's favorite song was YMCA. Game 2 was much more fun - even though the Intimidators won it.

For it's one, two, three strikes you're out
At the old ball game


Afterwards we were treated to a fireworks show booming over a selection of Rat Pack hits. The finale was Sinatra's My Way. It was a fun night, I wouldn't mind going back again.

No comments: