Wednesday, April 27, 2011

4.27.2011

Yesterday as I was driving home, a deer leaped out in front of us. D said "Watch out for the deer." I slowed and watched the deer, it was small and coltish. I would have been heartbroken had I actually hit it. As I prepared to go forward again, another one came out into the road. D said "The deer. Plural." I had been so rapt with attention to the first that I hadn't seen the others. Yes, a whole little group. One even crossed behind us. I looked again and didn't see any more. Now that I knew that we were okay, the deer were okay and the new car was okay, we went home without further incident. We had a similar incident several years ago in Tennessee. It seems that whenever I drive a new car on a beautiful day, deer will appear in the road - even in the middle of the afternoon!

My Tuesday bible study is about the Israelites and their 40 years in the wilderness. Moses encouraged them to look for God even in the small things - not just the crossing of the Red Sea, the pillar of fire or the daily manna - but things like their clothes not showing wear, no swelling in their feet, etc. And so I thanked God last night for keeping us safe. I also apologized for being an easy-distracted person too, because I am. I often get hung up on one thing, like that first deer, and don't see other things God has put in my way. I am working on being more observant, more mindful, more thankful.

1 comment:

HymnSinger said...

Well written. You are really doing well in your Bible Study! Agin I say, Well Done!