Sunday, December 12, 2010

12.12.2010

One of the joys of my week is sleeping in on Saturday mornings. It is the only day of the week that I have the opportunity to not set the alarm clock and to snuggle under the covers for as long as I wish. And even though it was my birthday, I didn't get to sleep in. Instead, I got up early and drove across to the far side of G'ville because December 11 was also TubaChristmas. Maybe I told myself that I could doze-off sitting on the bench outside the band room at Furman, but now I know the truth -- there is no snoozing when 31 tubas are playing Jingle Bells!


But that's okay. I read some and then TEM called and we chatted for a little bit. After practice the group played a concert in the atrium of the downtown Hyatt. LRL and BBL came too. It was so nice to have them to sit with.


Afterwards we reprised last year's birthday dinner at the Mellow Mushroom. This year we sat in a much sunnier spot! I love sharing a birthday feast with LRL.


Then we rushed home to change for another rehearsal and another concert. I think I earned enough good-wife-points this day to ensure an awesome stocking-haul on the 25th!

While I sat in the sanctuary at church many of my bible study ladies (who are all in the choir) came to hug me and give me birthday greetings. It feels like forever since our bible study wrapped for the year and it was so good to see them.

D directed the orchestral prelude and postlude to the musical. The lighting was low during both songs and none of my pictures of him conducting came out! D also got to play trumpet this year, which made him very happy. Another orchestra-wife invited me to sit with her for the performance as she too was alone (we previously sat together during the performance of Titanic). She and I are at completely opposite places in our lives or we could be such "bosom-friends" (as L.M. Montgomery says). She's a very sweet lady and I enjoy my time with her.

(this picture snagged off a friend's FB page)

2 comments:

Tolkienphile said...

Awesome shot of the choir during "Glorious Day" one of my favorite moments from this year's musical.

And I agree you due a great stocking haul, just have to figure what to put in it!

HymnSinger said...

Saturday morning was really fun! And the day just kept on rollin' for both of us! We went to another party Saturday evening for one of my high School classmates, whose birthday just happens to be Dec.11. You've got some great company! I hope you will get to meet these friends from my past, if they don't tell you too much!