Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vacation at Edisto - recaps (#3)

D and I were very disappointed that our suite did not have Wi-Fi. But more than just a lack of email, or a way to blog, I now had no way to make our reservations for Charleston! D called the office and was told that no other guests were reporting problems with the Wi-Fi and that his only option was to be connected to AT&T to see if they could some how fix the issue. Neither of us thought that was how we wanted to spend our morning, so we took a drive to the far side of the island to the Edisto Bookstore, which advertised Wi-Fi.


My trusty iBook worked just fine in the bookstore. I pulled up the website to purchase our tickets and realized I would need a printer. We asked the owner how to connect and she said we would have to log in to her computer in order to, and there would be a fee to do so. She charged me $1.50 for less than 10 minutes on her PC and 2 pieces of paper. Then she kept me there for over half an hour complaining about the book business and the Kindle. Weird lady. While I was her captive audience D browsed and found three books for his collection!

As we were already on the far side of the island, we decided to explore a little. When I was researching activities for our trip, I stumbled upon mention of Botany Bay Plantation, which is now kept as a state park, hunting area, etc. We found Botany Bay Road and even though we were not really dressed or equipped for hiking/walking, we decided to check it out.


Funny thing, the first time I said the words Botany Bay to D, he got this twinkle in his eye and I knew exactly what he was thinking, because I could hear Mr. Chekov in my head too...

I guess it's a generational / cultural thing that our first thoughts run to Star Trek instead of Captain Cook's founding of Australia. And interestingly enough, I've read that the real Botany Bay no longer has any of the trees it was named for, but I digress.


Edisto's Botany Bay is a truly gorgeous place. I was just gob-smacked by the beauty of the live oaks and the camera certainly does not do them justice. It was very quiet and peaceful.




This road just goes on and on. I read that the park does have a beachy area but we were hot and ready to go back to the room, so we turned around. On the drive out we finally encountered some wildlife! A snake bolted in front of the car at quite a clip and went on its way.

We stopped at the gas station and I treated D to a scoop of ice cream. A nice way to cool off.

1 comment:

HymnSinger said...

the phots of the live oaks are very framable! Excellent photography!