Yesterday we arrived at Palm Bay Hospital about 6AM. They badge all their visitors, who must show photo ID at the registration desk.
Mom let me take a picture of her before they got started.
I was allowed to stay with her through most of the pre-op until around 8AM. After a see-you-later kiss, I was shuffled back to the lobby. I was given a pager so that I could walk about the campus during Mom's surgery and they could contact me if/when needed.
Each patient is designated with a special code (for privacy) which is only given to family. Then you can follow their progress on the flat screen monitor, very similar to the screens up at an airport.
Her surgery only lasted about two hours. The assistant came out and told me that everything went well and that Mom would wake up in about forty minutes. Not too long after that, the receptionist told me I could go up to her room. I actually arrived at the room just as they were wheeling her into it! I really, really like this board on Mom's wall. Gives her the names of her caretakers, and what will happen today. I think the day's instructions were right on: Pain Control!
I arranged Mom's room to make it more like home. Pictures and her flowers from the grandkids.
And the butterfly card D and I picked out six months ago. Everyone loved this card but I would not divulge my secret source!
The morphine made her quite sleepy so I decided to walk around for awhile. I went down to the cafeteria. They had given me a coupon for a free beverage. The salad bar looked fantastic. They actually had the ginger salad dressing from the Japanese restaurant I used to eat at when I lived here. So I had salad. I was impressed to see this sign on the table which said the hospital encouraged spiritual wellness and gave the chapel service times.
I checked out the gift shop and then found a small cybercafe in the lobby. Three computers for visitors to use, free of charge. Facebook and much of Google was blocked. But at least I could get to email.
I was going to check out the chapel but just as I got to the doors I saw a sign that said Tranquility Garden. I looked to the right and I saw a fountain, a moss wall and several rocking chairs in the shade. Being out there was better than any chapel. I sat and rocked for awhile and just thanked God for His provision.
I went to the car to get Mom's bags and decided to do them two at a time. Then a man pulled up in a golf cart - it was a parking lot shuttle! He asked me if that was all and I admitted I had other bags. So he told me to "get them all". How nice for him to wait for me. He drove me right to the doors. I love this hospital. Every staff member greeted me every time we crossed paths. A doctor insisted that I exit the elevator first. Everyone here is courteous, attentive and caring.
Mom was very, very cold. At one point we had eight blankets on her! Finally they put a warm blanket over her head and shoulders, which did help. I was not going to take a picture of Mom at all the first day as I knew she wasn't feeling well and didn't have on makeup, etc. BUT she suggested that I take a picture, so I did. They had just brought her supper, a turkey dinner. She doesn't care for turkey but I think the apple crisp and the roll were welcome after being on clear fluids all day. She didn't want her salad, so I took it for my dinner and added the turkey on top of it.
Mom didn't want me to stay overnight. I waited until the rush hour traffic was over but I wanted to do the drive in the daylight, as I haven't lived here for 17 years and things look a little different. I hooked up the GPS but it couldn't find a satellite, so I was on my own! I'm more familiar with US1 than I95 so I took US1. At one point I thought I had passed Post Rd and got a little scared. I saw Aurora Rd so I got off on it. It intersects with Croton, which goes to Post, so I thought I was home free. Then I saw a ton of flashing lights ahead. There were cops and utility trucks... they had the whole road laid open. So the cops detoured me, and my heart started beating triple-time because I was in uncharted territory. At that moment... I heard a voice... the GPS found a satellite! It took me right back to Post Rd and I was able to find Mom's apartment without any problem.
My nerves were a little racked and I didn't have any chocolate so I ate a piece of peanut butter pie. It was so good and it was the perfect panacea. I slept well.
1 comment:
Sounds Like you had quite a day! That must be a wonderful hospital! I like the pager concept, as well as being able to follow a patient's progress on a board. Also like tracking an airplane flight! Don't work up a sweat over the driving, you just need more confidence in yourself! Tell Martha she looked real good in the first photo....we will wait to comment on the second until she is feeling better!
Post a Comment