Saturday, March 13, 2010

3.13.2010

When we first moved into the house we bought raised beds and placed them symmetrically, one on each side. The tomatoes have always been in the eastern bed and we've never had as much fruit as we would have liked. Even when the plants look good, the tomatoes don't ripen or don't grow big enough for sandwiches. We don't think they are getting enough sun due to all of the trees which border our property. There's really not any place in our yard that receives sunlight all day. We decided to experiment this year and move the bed over to the western side of the garden, by the herbs.

Moving all that earth was not fun, but it still satiated my desire to be doing something in the garden, even if it didn't involve green and growing things. I've been doing my best to contain my spring fever. In past years I've always bought plants too early and that last cold snap just ruins everything. When we filled in the bed we even put in a layer of our own compost, from the bin we started last summer. That made me feel really good. Standing there, shoveling dirt with D and looking at the ex-bed, I told him that I just knew one of the kids playing in the street was going to report that we were burying a body in the yard! It looks like a fresh grave to me...

No comments: