Tuesday, February 16, 2010

2.16.2010

Last December I really wanted D to take me to see Third Day when they played Asheville. But that trip didn't happen. So I was really surprised when in early January, he told me that they were coming to Greenville. And then he started to sound like a TV pitchman... But Wait, There's More! Not only was Third Day coming here, they were touring with The Newsboys! But Wait, There's More! Not only was Third Day coming here, not only were they playing with The Newsboys, but Newsong was coming too! And it didn't conflict with any orchestra rehearsal, performance, bible study, work training or family event. Woo-Hoo! My three favorite CCM bands together all in one night! I was excited! Enter WinterJam2010...

I had never heard of WinterJam before, which is odd, considering it started here in Greenville fifteen years ago and is now the largest CCM tour in the USA. The number fifteen seems to be popping up a lot this year! How nice that it was Valentine's Day weekend. We didn't want to miss out on the concert, and it was only general admission at the door, so we paid extra in advance for the opportunity to be Platinum Partners (meaning we got in early, had our choice of seating and received a free t-shirt).


It was rotten weather, having snowed the night before. We didn't know it, but they actually considered canceling the performance because of delays in coming from Mobile, AL. Instead, they just opened the doors late. As soon as they got the speakers hung they let us 'VIPs' in, but they still didn't have our chairs down, so we just hung out while they got that ready. It was kind of neat seeing all of their equipment and stage prep.


It was awesome walking into Bi-Lo Center, knowing that you could sit in any seat you wanted. D and I decided that for our auditory health, we didn't want to be any closer than 12 rows from the front. We ended up about row 14, right next to the runway. We were happy to finally be seated and, most importantly, out of the cold!


We saw a handful of lesser-known bands perform. The only one I truly did not care for was FireFlight. But then it was time for the big boys.... Cue the balloons, streamers and confetti!!



Newsong!
Daddy first introduced me to Newsong, so I've been listening to them for at least 20 years. I've seen them live several times. One of the highlights of the evening (for me) was when they performed Arise, My Love. So powerful. It never fails to give me goosebumps, especially when it's live. I couldn't believe they were still performing it on tour, I figured they would do their latest and greatest. What a treat!



Newsboys!
I first heard The Newsboys in 1993 at an outdoor music festival in Kentucky. They also played at Carson-Newman, we think, in 1994. Of course, that was their original lineup, they've since got a new lead vocalist. He was quite flamboyant and used the runway quite a bit. It was odd being that close to a performer (and not always pleasant - he worked up quite a sweat)! The highlight of their performance (for me): He Reigns. Such a great worship piece and it rocked the whole place.



Third Day!
I can't remember the first time I ever heard Third Day's music, but I've enjoyed it from the get-go. They just won a Grammy award, so much of what they performed was from their newest album. It was a thrill for me when they performed Tunnel, which is my #2 favorite of their repertoire. Out of all of their hits I never expected that one. I was very impressed with how Mac ended their set. As the other band members left the stage, he picked up his acoustic guitar and led us all in Agnus Dei and then he just left us singing it acappella. Nice and simple and humble.


It was a great night! And my ears weren't ringing too badly...

No comments: