Thursday, August 6, 2009

8.6.2009

For the last Travelogue book on my 999 Challenge I chose American Pie: Slices of Life from America's Back Roads. I have been reading about pie all week. Not so good for watching your weight, but it's a good book! I've made pies before: peanut butter, key lime, butternut squash... which all used graham cracker or cookie crusts. But I've never tackled my favorite pie from scratch because I've been afraid to make pie crust. And, I was too lazy to pit all those cherries by myself! But mostly the pie crust thing.
So for Date Night I asked D to make a cherry pie with me. Crust and Pits and all. And being the wonderful man he is, he said yes.

The recipe was called The Best Cherry Pie in Michigan. Our cherries came from New York.


Pitting the cherries was.... messy. I felt like I was starring in Sweeney Todd or something.


I was worried about our dough. It looked a little moist. But it came out just fine. Nice and flakey and as CL says "better than bought!" I was thinking of Daddy as I ate mine. He loved cherry pie too. I wish he was here to taste ours. But right now I'm only thinking of one thing: breakfast!

1 comment:

Cindy B said...

It looks great, but you need a cherry pitter!