Sunday, December 14, 2008

We Left With Joy

Today was the final two performances of We Come With Joy at FBC S'ville.
My favorite part of the evening was listening to the woodwind ensemble play the Christmas Winds piece that D arranged for them. Of course D played it for me on the computer, but that is so foreign to what it actually sounds like with live musicians. RK had mentioned that the ensemble was nervous about playing it. So when I approached them and asked if I could record their performance, I wasn't surprised at the funny looks they gave me. But then I said the recording was "for David" and those were the magic words. They were okay with the tape recorder then. It was so very special to listen to them make D's music a reality.
The choir did fantastic. They were much more relaxed than last year and it came through in their performance. JT thanked me for letting her borrow my choir dress. I'm tempted to let her keep it because it doesn't fit me anymore. RK said I had until January to get back to choir and then he was going to come after me. I believe him too.
I was so glad that BBL and LRL could attend, and not only because I wanted company in the pew. No, it's because I get such a thrill out of seeing them watch D. Tonight, in addition to playing the euphonium, he conducted the brass ensemble, the prelude and the postlude. I am so very grateful that we have a music director who gives D frequent opportunities to use his education and to indulge in his passion for music.


Personally, whenever I watch D conduct, my heart just swells with pride and I know that's even more the case with BBL and LRL. We met one of their acquaintances in the lobby and LRL said 'That's my boy up there shaking a stick!" It doesn't get any better than that.
We certainly left FBC with joy in our hearts. Part of the amusement was from the three of us trying to squish into the seat of the truck! LRL and BBL were kind enough to give me a ride home so I didn't have to stay through the second performance and I appreciate that so much. It's a great feeling to be able to come home when you don't feel well. Thanks Mom & Dad, see you tomorrow!

No comments: