Friday, December 5, 2008

Meeting Uncle Orson

Last year D and I took a trip to Raleigh for our Anniversary. We attended Tri-noc Con, our first Fan convention. We chose that particular con because the Guest of Honor was George R. R. Martin, who is one of D's favorite authors. But also attending was one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Hand. While D was with 99% of the attendees in the large ballroom with GRRM, I was in a room the size of a walk-in closet with Ms. Hand. She signed all the books I had brought with me. Then the two of us had a nice discussion on the man she had based my favorite character on and how people react when she tells them she's written them into a story, and things like that. I guess I became hooked on the whole author-fan interaction vibe.

One of the few authors that both D and I enjoy reading is Orson Scott Card (or Uncle Orson, as he refers to himself). Together we own 15 of his books and several comics.... er, graphic novels. Luckily, OSC lives in NC so he's not too far away. He's also known for going out of his way to sign books for his fans. There's one anecdote of him standing out in 20 degree weather to do so. I looked on his calendar and noticed that his last appearance for the year was on Friday, so I asked D to take me there, as my birthday present.

We left the house just before 3PM and arrived at the Barnes & Noble around 6:15. The signing was scheduled for 7PM. This B&N was hopping! I was worried all those people were there to see OSC and I was going to be in line forever. Luckily, Guest Services directed us to the right place. There were just a few chairs left, everyone else had to stand. About 6:30 Uncle Orson made his appearance, bearing a basket of chocolate, which he personally passed out to everyone waiting for him. Now, in my book, that makes him OK.

He was very personable, signing everything people brought in and taking time for pictures. I don't think he made anyone feel rushed, though he certainly made good time through the crowd. I guess he's had plenty of practice at that.

I had him sign Maps in the Mirror for D. And then Lovelock and The Abyss for myself. I just couldn't resist asking him when he was going to write the sequels to Lovelock (which is a question he is asked quite frequently). Lovelock is billed on its cover as volume one of the Mayflower Trilogy. It was published in 1994 and there has been no sign of the other books. Uncle Orson simply said that he was sure I wanted to know the answer to that question just as much as his co-author (Kidd) did. After he finished his autograph, he apologized because he signed it too large. He said he always leaves room for Kidd to sign it too, but this time he forgot.



D had him sign Ender's Game, of course. It was no surprise that the majority of the books OSC signed were either EG or it's derivatives. D also got several graphic novels signed, particularly Ender's Shadow. We just picked it up at the store last night and D bought the alternate cover because he liked the art better. Uncle Orson said it was his preferred cover and he had, so far, only signed one for the model. He mentioned that D's copy was the first he had 'officially' signed and suggested he write that on the cover along with his signature. I am so happy for D, I think that is a great memory and a very special addition to his collection.


I think D took an excellent picture of us. It's the perfect souvenir.


Even though seeing OSC was fun, my favorite part of our road trip was the traditional Newsboys sing-a-long with D. I was thinking in the car that I was introduced to the Newsboys in the summer of 1995, the same time as I met D. So it's fitting that we enjoy listening and singing to them together.

No comments: