Although it obviously is not peak leaf season anymore, there was still some beautiful color up near Caesar's Head.
We hiked along what I believe is the Little River and viewed a chain of waterfalls. They're all connected. We actually visited the waterfalls in reverse order than they... well, fall.
Hooker Falls is at the bottom of the chain, the end of the line. It empties into Cascade Lake. The trail is not much of a hike. It's about five minutes on flat terrain with an observation deck and picnic area. This was our first stop of the morning and it was chilly by the water. It was in the mid-fifties during our hike. I cracked open the handwarmers but D didn't need them.
Triple Falls
Now, the path up to Triple Falls was a hike! My legs were having deja vu and I was beginning to worry. But D was patient with me and provided plenty of water. It was worth the exertion. We had to view Triple Falls from the ridge. Unfortunately they're working on the access point, putting in new stairs, so we didn't climb down closer. They had a big earth mover parked directly in the way. It's probably for the best, there have been several deaths at Triple Falls. Well, several deaths at many of the falls, actually. I can't remember how many signs we saw reminding visitors that the Rocks Are Slippery!
I've been working on not being such a camera hog and letting D take some shots. And of course that means letting him take some pictures of me. It's part of my self-imposed therapy as I'm working on my self-esteem issues. I am learning to appreciate the pictures he takes instead of just being negative about the way I look... a little... it's a start.
D pointed out a puddle in the shape of heart beside Triple Falls. Such a romantic, my D.
I really enjoyed being right beside the river. Parts of it were so still, you would never have known you were beside water except you could see it. I found that to be such a lovely contrast to the falls.
We had to rest on the way to High Falls. It's named that for a reason!
We had to hike up, up, up and then take a very steep trail down, down, down to the base of the falls. They had made stairs out of railroad ties but it seemed like they were double-tall. Who has legs that long, I ask? I know I'm short-legged but it was ridiculous.
So even though we had read about deaths and seen the warning signage, yes, we did venture out onto the larger rocks. We were very careful. It was absolutely exhilarating to stand at the falls, to feel the thunder of the water in my legs and feel the spray on my face. My soul rejoiced at God's creation.
We will go back to DuPont. I didn't want to over-tax my legs because the LeConte hike is still fresh in my mind. I very much want to do Bridal Veil Falls. It will likely be spring, I'm such a wimp about being outdoors when it gets really cold.
2 comments:
Oh, what a gorgeous walk! It looks like so much fun. I need to get out and hike more myself.
Glad you like the Dupont hike
Post a Comment