Sunday, November 2, 2008

D's Birthday Trip to the Smokies: Day 3, Nov 2

Slept in late this morning. Still weary from the hike. Still very sore. We ate the caramel apple for breakfast.

We checked out and then went for a drive in the park to look at the trees one last time. They were simply gorgeous. If this weekend wasn't peak then it was last weekend. So pretty. We stopped at an overlook. This is Mount LeConte, the mountain we climbed on Saturday. We actually took the time to read the signage posted at the rail. Mount LeConte is 6,593 ft. "It is the third highest peak in the national park, however, from its immediate base to its highest peak, Mount LeConte is the tallest mountain in the Eastern United States." Wow! I guess we deserve to be sore, hiking that mountain! A hiking website I found says that Rainbow Falls is at 4,326 feet.


I found the picture below at the same website. It shows the Rainbow Falls Trail.


We had some time to kill so we went back to the Applewood Barn and bought cider and Apple Butter. I was so looking forward to freshly picked Pink Lady apples but sadly, they told us those would not be available for another week yet.



Our drive to Knoxville was more eventful than we thought it was going to be. They've closed I40! But we finally made it to Wong's. We're smiling so big because it took us four shots to get both of us and the sign in the picture. We must have looked like fools standing out in the parking lot but I didn't care. Let 'em look.


D took me to Wong's for our first official date 15 years ago. It makes me feel so old to say that. We try and go back every time we go to K'ville. We love Wong's Crab Rangoon. It's not too oniony. The first night we went there they had Roast Duck on the bar. No duck today but they had marvelous Roast Chicken. The Dragon Rolls were good. The Chicken and Broccoli had a really good garlic sauce too.



After lunch we went to McKay's, the bookstore that has forever ruined me for small town book shops. I was so spoiled in K'ville. I miss this place.


It's good to be back home with the boys.

No comments: