Monday, November 17, 2008

Blindsided

This afternoon I was trying to figure out which scene to write and I decided it would be the big catfight between Connie and Janna.
Constance has been the one character I have had the hardest time getting a handle on. I made her a Communist so that she could hide out at Julian’s and as a result I can’t relate to her. Secondly, since everyone else was sympathetic to Janna, I made Connie antagonistic to her and since I’m writing the story from Janna’s viewpoint, it makes Connie more distant to me.
I did finish writing the catfight and Connie did throw some low blows at Janna but she was not nearly as vitriolic as I thought she would be. Everything I wanted to accomplish with the scene is there but something about it bothered me.
I went to bed around 9:30 but I couldn’t sleep. As I lay there I flashed on Constance. I suddenly knew how she met Julian and what happened to make her hate Germans so very, very much, and why she was so protective of Sef. I just knew everything about her in that one instance. And I realized that’s why the catfight scene hadn’t settled with me. Because when I wrote it, I didn’t really know Connie yet.
So I got out of bed and started writing about her and she totally turned into a Momma Bear. She and Janna are like sisters now. I never saw that coming. But it’s a good character arc, she’ll show development in the story and that’s good.
I was originally going to have Constance turn in Janna to be one of The Shorn but that’s out the window now. If I do proceed in having Janna as a Shorn then Connie will have to defend her instead of being her accuser.
Now I’m going to try and catch some Zs, that is, if it’s okay with Connie.

No comments: