Friday, October 17, 2008

Bach to Box: Or, the Two Hour Lunch

Today was the 29th Bach to Box concert (but it was the first for us). We've been going to FBC for a few years now and we were aware of KV's concert series but because we work in G'ville, and we only have a 30min lunch, we had never tried to attend one before. I am of the opinion that if you have the opportunity to attend a free cultural event, you really should. So this morning we got up early and came into work so that we could take a long lunch. I feel blessed that our employer allows us the flexibility to do so.

I had a tremendous sense of deja vu from our college days at CN. D had to attend the Friday recitals and I often attended with him for company (and to get chapel credit). Today felt very much like a chapel, but it was a good feeling.

Organ is not my favorite solo instrument. I much prefer piano. Which is not to say that I can't appreciate the organ. Every time I watch KV I am amazed at his ability. In fact, when I shake his hand, I count his fingers because it's hard to believe he only has ten like the rest of us mere mortals. He started off with a Bach prelude, of course. For my taste it was (to quote a famous movie) too many notes.

Whenever KV resets the organ after playing, it reminds me of Star Trek. Yes, Star Trek. He pushes a button and all the stops pop, audibly. And my brain, polluted by too much pop culture, remembers Star Trek III when Kirk tells Sulu to 'clear all boards'. I hate that I have that correlation. But it's there, nonetheless.


AS. has a wonderful Soprano voice. Being a second soprano, I've always felt cowed by her first soprano-ness. Not because of anything she does, just my own feelings of verbal shortcomings. Our choir is blessed with so many good first sopranos. Sopranos who have 'a public A' (to use an RK expression). Of AS's part of the concert, I enjoyed her rendition of My Testimony the best.

AS works with seniors and plenty of them showed up to support her. I believe D and I might have been the youngest in attendance at the concert. In fact, we held the doors for the 'cane and walker brigade' as everyone headed to the cafe for lunch.

...and the 'box' portion of the event... which was really on a plate.
I inhaled mine in the car on the way back to work. I am not a fan of Duke's mayo but I was famished. When we attend future events I will probably bring my own sandwich.




No comments: