I finally felt like cooking the Primavera I had been craving all week, but I never got around to hunting down a recipe so I just made it up as I went along. I took pictures so I could re-create it if it turned out to be tasty.
I had already skinned and seeded eight tomatoes and chopped up half a red bell pepper (all from our garden). I chopped two garlic cloves and a third of a sweet onion and let them saute in olive oil. Then I chopped up half of a container of button mushrooms, peeled a little carrot and shredded about a cup each of zucchini and yellow squash. I then chopped up basil, oregano, thyme and parsley from our herb garden. I've been neglecting my herbs for too long. Then I added everything to the pot and let it cook awhile.
We didn't have enough of either Penne or Rotini for both of us, so I cooked what was left of both. Pasta is pasta is pasta, right? Then I grated our Parmesan cheese. I didn't think the sauce had enough liquid so I added 5oz of concentrated tomato juice I found in the pantry.
It was delicious. Not a single bite leftover. Not bad for winging it.
We watched anime over dinner - My Neighbor Totoro. It was good and I can see why it won so much acclaim. But it is a children's film and it's very different from the other anime we've watched. About as removed to Ghost in the Shell as you can get. I'd like to find more like Wolf's Rain or Cowboy BeBop.
Saturday, August 23rd
Slept late. D and I wanted biscuits with gravy for breakfast, but we didn't have either milk or gravy mix, so we had the biscuits with strawberry jam instead. D went out cycling. I took a nap.
"Today, in the midst of your busy life, may you have at least one moment to sit back and relax - where you don't have to do anything or be anywhere in particular... May you have a moment to reflect on the past year and all you've accomplished and to look forward to all that may be waiting for you in the year ahead. But mostly, in that moment, may you realize here and now what a gift your life is - not just to you but to everyone who knows you - and how wonderful it is to have you for a daughter. Happy Birthday."
To celebrate my birthday, I made Chocolate Sorbet from one of the blogs I frequent, The Smitten Kitchen. This recipe came with a warning: "This is not a sorbet for chocolate moderates. It’s for people who like chocolate to be all they can taste when they bite into something." And as that defined me, I gave it a go. It wouldn't sit up for me in the ice cream maker. I don't think I let the basin freeze long enough so I put it in the freezer overnight.
Dinner was Henry's BBQ, Sweet Potato Crunch and Baked Beans. And white bread - the most amazing white bread.
Sunday, August 24th
Woke up feeling drugged and I had the most bizarre dreams last night. D said he did to. Both of us wondered what Henry is using for fuel in his cooking pit. I woke up frozen, bent up like a pretzel. My lower back was KILLING me. How I was ever comfortable like that, I don't know. I took a scalding hot shower and it loosened me up enough so that I felt like attending church.
Breakfast was the Chocolate Sorbet. I was in pain, so I figured I should humor myself. It was so incredibly dark, almost too much for me and that's saying something! I won't bother posting pictures. The ones on The Smitten Kitchen site are so much prettier anyway.
I didn't feel good enough to sing in the choir. D lead the orchestral prelude - He Is Exalted. Because I wasn't in the choir, I was able to watch. I love seeing D direct the orchestra. My chest just puffs up with pride for him.
Pastor Randy spoke of hiking during his sermon. Last weekend during our road trip back from Tybee, D and I discussed going to our special hiking place in the mountains this fall. Randy's words only reinforced my desire to go. I keep visualizing the last hike we took to Chimney Rock, so in the afternoon while I treadmilled, I watched Last of the Mohicans. It's bloody and gory in places but it's also wonderfully cinematic and it captures the Carolina landscape beautifully. I coerced Fenimore into watching a little of it with me. I don't think he likes the cannon and rifle fire. I should have realized that because he hates fireworks. He finally curled up in his hidey bed and took a nap. I ended up walking 3 miles (incline 10).
For lunch (and ultimately dinner) we ate the 5-layer dip D made: Seasoned ground turkey, Goya black beans, shredded cheese, sour cream and Pace chunky salsa. I guess since we ate it twice in one day I don't have to say that it was Yummy.
Finshed Sleep, Pale Sister. I'm beginning to like Joanne Harris very much.
Started The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte by James Tully.
1 comment:
Some yummy looking food on there! I hope your back is feeling better.
Post a Comment