Saturday, May 17, 2008

Yardwork, $48 fillup, The Preakness Race & Caesar Salad

Last night I walked 4 miles. Watched The Eye and One Missed Call 2. I really enjoyed The Eye. I hope the American remake is as good. I should receive that one from Netflix next week. I kept falling asleep during One Missed Call 2. I'm not sure if it was the movie or because it was late at night. Probably a little of both.

Did yard work this morning. D pointed out a young mockingbird on our porch. It was so charming. I think one of its parents was in the tree, I could hear it chirping and the baby bird kept looking up at it too. We left it alone to see if they would come for it and when we came back it was gone. I'm glad it made its way home because it's been a long time since I've taken care of a baby bird! While we were moving the greenhouse beams to the curb, one slipped and damaged my eyeglasses. We went to LensCrafters to see if they could be fixed. I could tell that the first lady who waited on me only half-heartedly tried to repair them. She would have much rather sold me a new pair altogether. I actually picked out a couple of frames but she told me they weren't suitable for my lens. She also said, and rightly so, that I was lucky that only my frames were damaged and not my eye. Finally she asked her "lab guy" to try his hand at it. While he worked we had a long chat about vegetable gardens. It took him quite a while, but he was successful. And here's the best part - he didn't even charge me! His name was Robbie and he certainly has my future business.

Stopped to fill up the Kia and the gas cost us $48!
Watched Big Brown race to victory in the Preakness. I am so excited - we may actually have a Triple Crown winner this year! I wish I could go to NY to see the Belmont race in person.

Tonight we made Grilled Chicken Caesar Salads from scratch. Completely scratch: the croutons, the dressing, all of it. The recipe came from Cooks Illustrated Light Recipes (spring 2008). It was good, but I accidentally used too much Dijon mustard, so it had quite a kick!

No comments: